High-quality, safe and affordable housing that is accessible for residents with mixed income levels. Access to quality housing promotes health by reducing stress and providing individuals with a sense of security and protection. Housing located near necessary resources and amenities, such as grocery stores, employment opportunities, and parks also promotes health.
- Mortgages approved for African Americans and Latinos are down 55% and 45%, respectively.¹
- Blacks and Latinos are 56% more likely to be rejected by lenders.¹
- Seventy-two percent of white parents describe their neighborhoods as excellent or very good places to raise children, compared with 41% of black parents and 42% of Hispanic parents.²
Connection Across Determinants
- Households that spend more than half of their income on housing spend less on food and health as compared to households that spend 30% or less on housing.³
- While the government provides Section 8 vouchers to support individuals with disabilities to find rentals in the private market:
- Ninety percent of Public Housing Authorities do not apply for the Section 8 voucher.⁴
- Out of all 3 million disabled adults under the age of 62, less than 500,000 receive subsidized housing.⁴
- Goodman L, Zhu J, George T. Where Have All the Loans Gone? The Impact of Credit Availability on Mortgage Volume. Urban Institute. http://www.urban.org/research/publication/where-have-all-loans-gone-impact-credit-availability-mortgage-volume. Published June 4, 2016. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Gao G. Americans Divided on How Much They Trust Their Neighbors. Pew Res Cent. April 2016. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/13/americans-divided-on-how-much-they-trust-their-neighbors/. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Maqbool N, Viveiros J, Ault M. The Impacts of Affordable Housing on Health: A Research Summary. http://www2.nhc.org/HSGandHealthLitRev_2015_final.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Housing First: People with Physical Disabilities. http://www.npr.org/news/specials/housingfirst/whoneeds/physdisabled.html. Accessed June 21, 2017.