Just Immigration Climate –
1. Zong J, Batalova J. Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States. migrationpolicy.org. https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states-5. Published April 13, 2016. Accessed March 12, 2019.
2. Foreign-born workers made 83.1 percent of the earnings of their native-born counterparts in 2016 : The Economics Daily: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Bureau of Labor Statistics. https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2017/foreign-born-workers-made-83-point-1-percent-of-the-earnings-of-their-native-born-counterparts-in-2016.htm. Published May 24, 2017. Accessed March 14, 2019.
3. Cohn JSPD, Passel J. A portrait of unauthorized immigrants in the United States. Pew Hisp Cent. 2009.
4. Hacker K, Anies M, Folb BL, Zallman L. Barriers to health care for undocumented immigrants: a literature review. Risk Manag Healthc Policy. 2015;8:175. doi:10.2147/RMHP.S70173
5. Canizales C. Deportation Defense A Guide for Members of Congress and other Elected Officials. United We Dream Network. https://unitedwedream.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Deportation_Defense_Guide_2014.compressed.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Health Care Access -
6. Barnett JC, Berchick ER. Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2016. US Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2017/demo/p60-260.html. Accessed March 14, 2019.
7. Artiga S, Orgera K, Feb 13 ADP, 2019. Changes in Health Coverage by Race and Ethnicity since Implementation of the ACA, 2013-2017. Henry J Kais Fam Found. February 2019. https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief/changes-in-health-coverage-by-race-and-ethnicity-since-implementation-of-the-aca-2013-2017/. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Education Justice -
8. Brownstein R. How Racial Gaps in Education Became America’s Defining Challenge. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/05/education-inequality-takes-center-stage/483405/. Published May 19, 2016. Accessed March 14, 2019.
9. Duncan GJ, Kalil A, Ziol-Guest KM. Increasing Inequality in Parent Incomes and Children’s Schooling. Demography. 2017;54(5):1603-1626. doi:10.1007/s13524-017-0600-4
10. Why Education Matters to Health: Exploring the Causes. https://societyhealth.vcu.edu/work/the-projects/why-education-matters-to-health-exploring-the-causes.html. Published February 13, 2015. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Economic Justice -
11. Wilson V. Racial inequalities in wages, income, and wealth show that MLK’s work remains unfinished. Economic Policy Institute. https://www.epi.org/publication/racial-inequalities-in-wages-income-and-wealth-show-that-mlks-work-remains-unfinished/. Published January 11, 2018. Accessed March 14, 2019.
12. Semuels A. Poor at 20, Poor for Life. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/07/social-mobility-america/491240/. Published July 14, 2016. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Community Infrastructure -
13. Bell J. 5 Things to Know About Communities of Color and Environmental Justice. Center for American Progress. https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2016/04/25/136361/5-things-to-know-about-communities-of-color-and-environmental-justice/. Published April 25, 2016. Accessed March 14, 2019.
14. Fighting for Equitable Transportation: Why It Matters. Safe Routes to School National Partnership. https://www.apha.org/~/media/files/pdf/topics/environment/built_environment/srtsnp_equitytransp_factsheet2015.ashx. Accessed March 14, 2019.
15. Prevention Institute, Advancement Project. Community Safety: A Building Block for Healthy Communities. https://www.preventioninstitute.org/sites/default/files/publications/BHC%20Community%20Safety%20for%20web.pdf. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Healthy Marketing and Retail Environment -
16. Health equity & junk food marketing: Talking about targeting kids of color. Berkeley Media Stud Group. http://www.bmsg.org/resources/publications/health-equity-junk-food-marketing-talking-about-targeting-kids-color/. Accessed March 14, 2019.
17. Williams JD, Pasch KE, Collins CA. Targeted Marketing of Junk Food to Ethnic Minority Youth. ChangeLab Solutions. https://changelabsolutions.org/publications/junk-food-minority-youth. Accessed March 14, 2019.
18. Freeman A. Fast Food: Oppression through Poor Nutrition. Calif Law Rev. 2007;95(6):2221. doi:doi:10.15779/Z386997
Housing Justice -
19. “Snob zoning” is racial housing segregation by another name. Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/09/25/snob-zoning-is-racial-housing-segregation-by-another-name/. Accessed March 14, 2019.
20. Nuru-Jeter AM. “I Can”t Breathe’: Racial Injustice, Segregation, and Health Disparities. Haas Institute. https://haasinstitute.berkeley.edu/i-cant-breathe-racial-injustice-segregation-and-health-disparities. Accessed March 14, 2019.
21. The Gap: A Shortage of Affordable Homes. National Low Income Housing Coalition. https://handouts-live.s3.amazonaws.com/d0287af619ab4be5a61e5ffebff30194?sessionId=7743486949839316484&participantId=100004. Accessed March 14, 2019.
22. Butera C. How Housing Instability Can Make People Sick. CityLab. https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/01/rent-anxiety-is-making-us-sick/551660/. Accessed March 14, 2019.
23. Rebuilding Neighborhoods, Restoring Health: A Report on the Impact of Foreclosures on Public Health. https://cjjc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/foreclose2.pdf. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Transportation Justice -
24. Access to Public Transit is a Matter of Racial Equity. Cent Soc Incl. April 2015. https://www.centerforsocialinclusion.org/access-to-public-transit-is-a-matter-of-racial-equity/. Accessed March 14, 2019.
25. Syed ST, Gerber BS, Sharp LK. Traveling Towards Disease: Transportation Barriers to Health Care Access. J Community Health. 2013;38(5):976. doi:10.1007/s10900-013-9681-1
Valued Cultures and Identities -
26. Cohn D. Hispanic? Latino? Or…? Pew Res Center’s Soc Demogr Trends Proj. April 2012. http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/04/04/hispanic-latino-or/. Accessed June 21, 2017.
Connections with Neighbors -
27. Gao G. Americans divided on how much they trust their neighbors. Pew Res Cent. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/13/americans-divided-on-how-much-they-trust-their-neighbors/. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Hope & Efficacy -
28. Cubbin C, Egerter S, Braveman P, Pedregon V. Where we live matters for our health: Neighborhoods and health. 2008.
29. Green A. When Black Students Have to Balance Academia and Racism. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/01/balancing-academia-racism/424887/. Published January 21, 2016. Accessed March 14, 2019.
30. Chen VT. The Lonely Poverty of America’s White Working Class. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/01/white-working-class-poverty/424341/. Published January 16, 2016. Accessed March 14, 2019.
Clean Water, Air, and Soil -
31. Milman O. A civil rights “emergency”: justice, clean air and water in the age of Trump. the Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/20/environmental-justice-in-the-age-of-trump. Published November 20, 2017. Accessed March 15, 2019.
32. Water Injustice: Economic And Racial Disparities in Access to Safe and Clean Water in the United States. Food & Water Watch. https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/sites/default/files/ib_1703_water-injustice-web.pdf. Accessed March 15, 2019.
33. Massey R. Environmental justice: Income, race, and health. Glob Dev Environ Inst. 2004.
Access to Parks & Recreational Spaces -
34. Pattillo A. Nature’s calling -- for more human diversity. CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/12/health/nature-wilderness-minorities/index.html. Accessed March 15, 2019.
35. Gordon D. Access to parks, open spaces in your community can be a health factor. UCLA Newsroom. http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/public-health-experts-find-poor-neighborhoods-lack-access-to-parks-open-space. Accessed March 15, 2019.
Food Justice -
36. Food Insecurity, Children, and Race: A Look at Household Food Insecurity Among Adults and Children of Varying Races. Share Our Strength. http://join.nokidhungry.org/site/DocServer/Food_Insecurity_as_it_relates_to_Race_and_Ethnicity.pdf. Accessed March 15, 2019.
37. Giancatarino A, Noor S. Building the Case for Racial Equity in the Food System. Center for Social Inclusion. http://www.centerforsocialinclusion.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Building-the-Case-for-Racial-Equity-in-the-Food-System.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed March 15, 2019.
Reproductive Justice -
38. Malhi S. For women of color, access to vital health services is threatened. The Hill. https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/343996-for-women-of-color-access-to-vital-health-services-is. Published July 26, 2017. Accessed March 15, 2019.
39. Sherman RB. What the War on Reproductive Rights Has to do With Poverty and Race. https://www.yesmagazine.org/peace-justice/what-the-war-on-reproductive-rights-has-to-do-with-poverty-and-race-20160525. Accessed March 15, 2019.
40. Cohen SA. The Broad Benefits of Investing in Sexual and Reproductive Health. Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2004/03/broad-benefits-investing-sexual-and-reproductive-health. Published March 24, 2004. Accessed March 15, 2019.
Fair and Unbiased Justice System -
41. Nellis A. The Color of Justice: Racial and Ethnic Disparity in State Prisons. The Sentencing Project. https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/color-of-justice-racial-and-ethnic-disparity-in-state-prisons/. Accessed March 15, 2019.
42. Poverty. Equal Justice Initiative. https://eji.org/mass-incarceration/poverty. Accessed March 15, 2019.
43. Cloud D. On Life Support: Public Health in the Age of Mass Incarceration. Vera Inst Justice. November 2014.
Civic Participation -
44. Race Matters: Unequal Opportunities in Civic Participation. The Annie E. Casey Foundation. https://www.aecf.org/resources/race-matters-unequal-opportunities-in-civic-participation/. Published January 1, 2006. Accessed March 19, 2019.
45. Civic Participation. Healthy People 2020. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/social-determinants-health/interventions-resources/civic-participation. Accessed March 20, 2019.
46. Kim S, Kim C, You MS. Civic Participation and Self-rated Health: A Cross-national Multi-level Analysis Using the World Value Survey. J Prev Med Pub Health. 2015;48(1):18. doi:10.3961/jpmph.14.031
Community Safety -
47. French-Marcelin M. Bullies in Blue. American Civil Liberties Union. https://www.aclu.org/issues/juvenile-justice/school-prison-pipeline/bullies-blue. Accessed March 20, 2019.
48. Do The Harder Work. Communities for Just Schools Fund. https://www.cjsfund.org/do-the-work. Published December 5, 2018. Accessed March 20, 2019.
49. About Financial Abuse. Natl Netw End Domest Violence. https://nnedv.org/content/about-financial-abuse/. Accessed March 20, 2019.
50. Community Safety. County Health Rankings & Roadmaps. http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/explore-health-rankings/measures-data-sources/county-health-rankings-model/health-factors/social-and-economic-factors/community-safety. Accessed March 20, 2019.