October 25, 2017
We are hiring for multiple full-time Tenant Counselor/Organizer positions to join the newly formed Housing, Land, & Development team to provide tenant counseling services for low-income tenants through our Tenant Rights Clinics, as well as do organizing work in our Oakland or San Francisco office to help build a movement for stronger housing rights.
Job responsibilities include:
• Provide tenant rights counseling and case management, including maintaining and providing necessary follow-up with tenants using a Serve the People/rights-based model
• Participate in the creation, implementation, and facilitation of Know Your Rights workshops
• Recruit members into the organization and support with member retention, development and leadership work
• Secure member participation to membership meetings, mobilizations or other events through phone-banking and other member communications
• Support with the development of member meeting agendas and content, as well as provide logistical support, and attend team and organizational member meetings
• Support movement building work by participating in a coalition/alliance and lift up the mission and vision of the organization
• Raise funds for the organization through participation in grassroots fundraising activities.
• Participate and support member participation and leadership in civic engagement activities
• Support campaigns and assist with the implementation of related activities
• Support the successful planning and implementation of organizational events meetings, and activities as needed
Ideal candidates should demonstrate the following skills and expertise:
• Strong commitment to social, gender, racial and economic justice
• At least one year experience in community organizing or providing direct service work with low-income communities of color
• Knowledge of issues related to tenants’ rights and the housing crisis in Oakland, San Francisco and the Bay Area
• Familiarity with local history, geography of the city / neighborhoods, knowledge of various organizations, political issues, etc.
• Strong personal organization and time management skills
• Experienced with Mac computers – including familiarity with Word, Excel and Google calendar
• Experience with translation and interpretation (Spanish-English) – support members with interpretation at organizational meetings, as well as help translate documents from one language to another
• Must be able to travel between Oakland and San Francisco
For our San Francisco-Mission District office, candidates must be fully bilingual in Spanish-English, including the ability to translate written documents from one language to the other. Native Spanish speakers encouraged to apply. We are looking to fill multiple positions for our San Francisco-Mission office.
For our Oakland – Fruitvale office, the candidate must be fully bilingual (Spanish-English). We are looking to fill one position for our Oakland office.
The positions are all full time, non-exempt. Full time salary for entry-level experience starts at $43K. Comprehensive benefits include health (medical, dental, vision and HSA), vacation, sick and family leave.
Position is open immediately. Women, people of color, and QTPOC encouraged to apply.
Open until filled. Please email both a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “HLD Job Position” in the subject line
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com