August 17, 2017
Internship Location: 1900 Fruitvale Ave, Oakland, CA. (Office is 10-12 minute walk from Fruitvale BART)
Reports to: Executive Director
Non-Exempt Position: $15/hr.-$18/hr.—16 to 20 hours per week. Work study available.
Internship Period: Fall 2017; with possibility of extending through Spring 2018.
Majors: Open to all majors, all years—Graduate or Undergraduate.
The Praxis Project is a national movement-support organization committed to support communities building power to achieve health justice. Our mission is to build healthy communities by transforming the power relationships and structures that affect our lives. Praxis’ philosophy of work is shaped by a deep understanding of structural and historical determinants that have led to the health disparities experienced by our nation’s most vulnerable communities. Our emphasis is on developing fields of work in ways that encourage multi-level, trans-disciplinary learning, and collaboration across issues, across the country and across the globe. National, multi-site initiatives are a core part of our work as they operate as “laboratories” where we extract lessons for application in other fields of work and vice versa to help us all move the work of health justice transformation further, faster.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Health Justice Intern (HJI) will work under the direct supervision of The Praxis Project’s Executive Director. The HJI should be prepared to assist across several work areas including office administration, supporting the development of trainings, research, presentations, and social media communications. Praxis will provide training for all assigned tasks.
The HJI should deeply understand Praxis’ overall commitment to addressing issues of health from a social justice framework, working with historically disenfranchised populations, changing structural conditions to improve the quality of life, and value the power of grassroots organizations to advance health equity and health justice.
In collaboration with Praxis’ team, the successful candidate may:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an online organizing plan for key constituencies;
- Contribute to the development of training curricula, materials and other resources to support Praxis network members’ efforts to start or improve upon existing organizing campaigns;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Praxis activities and events;
- Contribute, as needed, across Praxis initiatives to develop strategies and tactics for online mobilization, outreach, fundraising, and network development;
- Contribute to the creative production and distribution of Praxis publications including blogs and reports;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Exceptional research, writing, and communication skills;
- Ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced, demanding environment with a flexible structure;
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to equity and justice issues through either personal experience, past employment, or volunteer opportunities;
- A strong understanding of the Social Determinants of Health framework is desired but not required to start the position;
- Ability to communicate (oral and written) in languages other than English is desired— Proficiency in Spanish, Oaxacan dialects, Mandarin, Arabic, Tagalog, Vietnamese, especially writing, is a plus;
- Experience in supporting the development and facilitation of workshops/trainings through people-centered educational methodologies—preferred but not required.
How to apply:
Please send 1) a cover letter that describes why you want to intern at Praxis, 2) your experience working/volunteering (including lived experience) in areas related to health justice, social justice, environmental justice, or other social justice spaces; 3) a resume; and 4) a short writing sample (no more than two pages, can be on any subject) to the attention of Aishah Abdala, Program Assistant, via e-mail to Aishah@thepraxisproject.org. Position is open until filled. We will start reviewing applications on September 1, 2017. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com