October 3, 2017
About The Praxis Project
The Praxis Project is a values-driven, national nonprofit organization that seeks to improve health justice through partnerships to build community power. Praxis believes strongly that organized communities are critical partners in the struggle to create healthy communities. Praxis works with over 200 diverse grassroots groups across the United States that influence local policy, mobilize communities, and strengthen programs and organizations to improve health justice. Praxis works to enable local efforts to build community power through training, technical assistance, and capacity building services, as well as comprehensive fiscal sponsorship. Our capacity-building programming is focused on partnerships that actively advance Praxis’ mission to build healthy communities by transforming the power relationships and structures that affect our lives. For more information, please visit www.thepraxisproject.org.
The Finance Manager, under the supervision of the Senior Manager of Organizational Development, is responsible for supervision and control of Praxis finances, including general ledger, payables, payroll, receivables, budget reporting, and grant reporting, including for Praxis’ fiscally sponsored projects. The Finance Manager is responsible for creating, implementing, and evaluating internal financial policies and workflows and plays an important role in Praxis’ operational excellence, working closely in partnership with the Senior Manager as well the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to ensure a high standard of financial management with an eye toward growth. The Finance manager also supports Praxis’ fiscally sponsored projects in their financial development.
We prefer a candidate who is available to work from our Oakland office, but will consider those who prefer to work from our downtown Washington, DC office instead, and may also consider exceptional candidates who prefer to work remotely from elsewhere in the United States.
This is an exempt position.
● Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among clients and staff.
● Accountable for participation in decision-making processes and understanding the outcomes.
● Understands Praxis’ mission, values and principles and applies them in work responsibilities.
● Participates in other activities, agency advocacy, and serves on ad hoc committees as requested.
● Attends Praxis board of directors meetings, when required.
Duties and responsibilities
● Responsible for various treasury functions including monitoring and reconciliation of investments, transfers of cash to operating accounts as needed and transfers of excess cash from operating accounts to investment vehicles. Responsible for preparation of cost reports as required by various funding sources.
● Responsible for preparing all internal financial management reports; including program reports, grant reports and financial statements.
● Schedule reporting requirements for all grants and contracts; including communicating with program staff.
● Coordinate preparation of and continuous monitoring of the annual budget. This includes working with the appropriate staff to prepare the budget, proposing revisions to the budget when appropriate, monitoring the budget/actual performance in consultation with budget managers on a monthly basis, and keeping the Senior Manager apprised of a running list of budget variances.
● Ensure compliance with IRS, federal, state and other funder guidelines especially regarding procedures and policies, and organization compliance with laws and regulations.
● Coordinate audits and financial monitoring performed by various funding sources.
● Prepare monthly financial statements and work with the Senior Manager of Organizational Development to ensure their accuracy, reliability, and timeliness.
● Prepare financial reports for the Board, sponsored projects, and external inquiries.
● Maintain full monthly reconciliation and subsidiary ledgers for all balance sheet items.
● Maintain good working relationships with vendors, funders, employees regarding financial relationships with the organization.
● Follow up on accounts, grants, and contracts receivable and ensure collection on a timely basis.
● Keep up-to-date on accounting and tax compliance issues related to nonprofit organizations.
● Monitor, manage, and maintain operating cash and cash flow.
● Maintain updated chart of accounts and supervise general ledger maintenance.
● Ensure compliance with donor restrictions and documentation of the same in the accounting records.
● As necessary, serve as liaison with brokers, bankers, auditors, and attorneys.
● Ensure tax compliance and timely IRS filings.
Required qualifications: Education and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and 5 years of related work experience, or 8 years of related work experience.
● Minimum 5 years of experience with increasing accounting technical knowledge.
● Minimum 3 years of experience and knowledge working with accounting software.
● Experience working with external auditors and demonstrated success in managing audits.
Required qualifications: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
● Fluency with general ledger software.
● Fluency with Microsoft Office and Google applications.
● Knowledge of nonprofit financial best practices and IRS compliance.
● Master’s degree in a related field such as accounting, finance, or business administration, or CPA license.
● Experience with nonprofit fiscal sponsorship strongly desired.
● Experience working with health, social justice, and/or advocacy organizations strongly desired.
● Experience working with communities of color.
● Experience with selecting, configuring, and implementing accounting software.
● Experience with creating and implementing internal financial policies.
Mental and Physical Demands
● Fast-paced work environment.
● High level of concentration and attention to detail required.
● Time speaking and listening: (range 25 – 50%).
● Travel is required rarely.
● Ability to drive is not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Praxis Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, religious creed, disability (mental and physical) including HIV, AIDS, and AIDS-related conditions, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
The Praxis Project will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on Praxis operations. Please advise of any accommodation needed at the time of application.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please include “Finance Manager” in the subject line and submit by email a cover letter, résumé, salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 20, 2017. Please also specify in your email how you heard about this opportunity. No phone calls, please.
The Praxis Project offers a very competitive benefits package that includes fully employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, 11 paid holidays, paid vacation, retirement plan with employer match, wellness subsidy, and healthy and delicious office snacks.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com