August 31, 2017
Website California Environmental Justice Alliance
The Civic Engagement Manager will guide and implement strategies for our Civic Engagement Program. The Manager will be responsible for overseeing CEJA’s overall Civic Engagement program, coordinate our member organizations to participate and lead in Civic Engagement program and campaigns, act as data manager and help develop voter targeting and strategy, conducting any analysis of the political landscape, conducting Civic Engagement research, and representing CEJA in stakeholder coalitions and meetings.
The fiscal sponsor for the California Environmental Justice Alliance is the Environmental Health Coalition (EHC), a member of CEJA. The Civic Engagement Manager will be an employee of EHC. The Civic Engagement Manager will report to CEJA Statewide Organizing Director located in the Los Angeles office. This position will be housed in the CEJA Los Angeles office.
Program Management (60%): Lead the management and implementation of CEJA’s overall Civic Engagement Program including:
• Work with the Statewide Organizing Director and the Civic Engagement Committee to fully develop, implement and oversee the Civic Engagement Program and plans
• Coordinate the Civic Engagement Committee: set strategy, convene meetings, set agenda, and implement tasks
• Manage any Civic Engagement campaign plans and coordinate with CEJA member organizations to implement campaign
• Coordinate CEJA Action (the 501c4 of CEJA) programmatic work
• Navigate the political landscape of the state and ensure CEJA continues to play an important role as EJ policy advances
• Represent CEJA in key coalitions and sit at the table in discussions regarding statewide initiatives and races
• Coordinate education and GOTV among CEJA member organizations including training member organizations without existing GOTV programs
• Build relationships with allies for collaboration around shared goals
• Assist in identifying donors and assist Statewide Organizing Directors in fundraising
• Work with communications staff and Civic Engagement Committee to develop and execute a communications strategy
• Coordinate peer-to-peer trainings for beginner level member organizations to set up infrastructure needed for Civic Engagement program
• Work with Communications Associate to develop media strategy to support Civic Engagement work.
Data Management (30%): Develop and maintain data management infrastructure for CEJA and support member organizations use of data in Civic Engagement program
• Help develop and implement a voter data system and collections process for CEJA
• Administer, support, and train beginner, intermediate and advance level member organizations on voter file systems
• Work closely with member organizations in developing strategies to better use data in their organizing and Civic Engagement work
• Work closely with partner groups to analyze their data systems and make recommendations on how to improve their data processing/ integration capacity
• Research/analysis to determine voter participation rates, voter registration rates, demographic data and other statistics
• Generate voter lists for any mailing, canvassing and phone banks
• Develop voter targeting and Civic Engagement strategy
• Responsible for all reporting of Civic Engagement engagement programs
• Ability to provide support to local groups in their access and guide when needed.
• Assist with planning and coordination of data training conferences
General Organizational Responsibilities (10%):
• Participate in Steering Committee meetings to present and report on Civic Engagement Program and progress.
• Foster an environment that promotes trust and cooperation amongst CEJA staff, community members, and affiliate organizations.
• Actively participate in program strategy, planning, tracking and reporting, and staff meetings.
• Actively participate in CEJA-wide events, such as annual Congreso.
• Other duties as assigned by the Statewide Organizing Directors.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• 3-5 years of nonprofit and/or Civic Engagement engagement, and campaign experience
• 3-5 years managing a civic engagement/electoral program
• 3-5 years of conducting Civic Engagement research and voter targeting
• Strong experience in managing voter files using PDI or other Voter Contact Tools
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point)
• Is able to travel frequently throughout the state as needed
• Ability to work flexible hours to respond to position needs
• Internet fluency; web research a must
• Commitment to environmental, social and economic justice
• Demonstration of leadership and coordination skills: self-motivated, experience managing staff and/or community leaders; experience managing a program
• Experience working with MYSQL and/or other SQL databases
• Experience with STATA
• Highly detail oriented and accountable
• Highly collaborative style
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• Relationship builder and people person
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with CEJA staff, committees, organizational community members, and supporters.
• Self-starter, able to work independently
• Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment and take on additional tasks as needed to support CEJA’s overall mission
Starting Salary: $62,000-67,000, depending on experience.
Benefits: Includes health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement plan, generous vacation and sick leave
Start Date: Applications due September 25, 2017 target start date October 2017.
Applications: Email resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line to read: CIVIC ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Environmental Health Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, women, and LGBTQ persons to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com