THE PRAXIS PROJECT IS SEEKING AN EXPERIENCED SOCIAL JUSTICE COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
The Praxis Project is a nonprofit movement support intermediary and an institution of color that supports organizing and change work at local, regional and national levels. Focused on movement building for fundamental change, our mission is to build healthy communities by changing the power relationships between people of color and the institutional structures that affect their lives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Manager works under the supervision of the Deputy Director. The Communications Manager should be willing and able to work with a team approach, and should share Praxis' overall commitment to addressing issues of racial and economic justice, working with traditionally disenfranchised populations, changing structural conditions to improve the quality of life, building community power, and institutional/systemically focused strategies.
Communications Planning and Identity Management. In collaboration with the Core Leadership Team, develop and implement a comprehensive plan for strategic communications for the organization including field building, meta messaging, web and social media strategy, media relations and media trainings; provide leadership and consultation to Praxis staff and on strategic communications aspects of their work. Provide regular reporting, evaluation and documentation of communications work.
Media Relations. Oversee the management of press contacts including development and maintenance of computerized database of media contacts and press lists, cultivating contacts, preparing press releases and advisories. Develop in collaboration with other Praxis staff and partners major press conferences, briefings, and publicity campaigns. Build capacity and infrastructure for messaging and meta messaging as an integral component of Praxis’ overall change strategy. Coordinate work of media consultants to ensure deliverables are met and consistent with organizational goals.
Media Training. Assist the training team in developing training materials and curricula, and in performing media trainings designed to build strategic communications competency and shared framing among partners.
Content Development and Editing. Develop story ideas in consultation with staff and partners; oversee the development of Praxis web content, website updates, newsletters and other content for public consumption; work with freelance writers, designers and writing consultants to oversee production of publications and other media content; and assist Praxis staff with editing of products for publication, as needed.
- Familiarity with social justice oriented approaches to framing, media strategy, and advocacy communications.
- Excellent project management skills including experience supervising/coordinating the work of staff, contractors and professional public relations firms.
- Strong journalistic research and writing skills along with the ability to write for the public in a compelling way.
- A minimum of five years experience writing for the public, including writing on public health issues.
- Ability to interpret and communicate research materials for lay audiences.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with community members.
- Commitment to addressing systemic causes of racism, sexism, homophobia and poverty.
- Experience in both print and video editing and production (video skills desirable but not required).
- Knowledge of web design and principles of interactive media (experience working in this area in a social justice context a plus)
- Knowledge of and experience with web publication, social media and the use of the internet as a tool for communication, community building, advocacy and advocacy communications.
- Ability to work independently, be detailed oriented, prioritize own work, and collaborate with and coordinate the work of others in a harmonious and empowering manner.
Depends on experience, includes a generous benefits package.
Applicants are asked to submit electronic copies of their resume, cover letter and writing samples to Makani Themba at firstname.lastname@example.org with RESUME in the subject heading.