Currently these positions open here at Praxis : Content Manager/Digital Strategist and Communications Director. Scroll down to see the descriptions of each position.
Content Manager and Digital Strategist
The Praxis Project is looking for a full-time Content Manager and Digital Strategist based in Washington, D.C. and Oakland, California. This is an exciting opportunity for a recent graduate, or grad student with a commitment to advancing racial justice and an interest in pursuing a professional communications career in the social justice sector.
The content manager and digital strategist will focus on content development, management, and strategy for publications, websites, and social media platforms for both Praxis and partner organizations that we support. S/he will also help us achieve our organizational objectives by maximizing the impact of our online content and developing integrated media strategies across a variety of digital project types. This position requires close collaboration with the Communications and Programs teams and will be responsible for promoting quality content on social media to ensure high visibility.
The position reports to the Communications Director and should be willing and able to work with a team approach. Candidates must be able to adapt and become well-versed in our framework to effectively accomplish the writing and advocacy responsibilities of the position. Candidates should also share Praxis' overall commitment to addressing issues of racial and economic justice, working with traditionally disenfranchised populations, changing structural conditions to improve the quality of life, building community power, and institutional/systemically focused strategies.
- Content development, management, and strategy for publications, websites, and social media platforms
- Copywriting and editing
- Website content uploading & formatting;
- Statistics/Metrics Monitoring; and
- Email Distribution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage Content Development, Strategy and Writing
- Creating and writing copy, editing, proofreading for websites, reports, toolkits, blog posts, and emails.
- Ensure all web content is regularly updated, readable, easy to navigate, and effective for the goals set out.
- Compile and create content that maintains thematic, compelling, cohesive, and messaging and story-telling.
- Plan ahead for the development, maintenance, and revising of content throughout its lifecycle on the web.
- Manage content audits, editorial calendars.
- Drafting blogs, press releases, talking points and short speeches, website and digital media content and the Praxis e-newsletter, “The App.”
Oversee day-to-day operations of Praxis website and social media platforms.
- Oversee all web-related content updates and requests. Review and revise content for webpages--including existing pages for editing; publishing and deleting pages and outdated content.
- Serve as point person between Praxis and network allies to secure content from staff and partners.
- Work with technology director to find and assess new web technologies for integration into website and marketing campaigns.
- Identify and compile relevant web stories, partner content and news along with original writing to ensure Praxis websites are up to date with high quality user-friendly content.
Implement a Praxis social media strategy.
- Build and manage social media strategies.
- Provide social media training to academic and administrative departments.
- Keep up-to-date with changes to and advances in social media platforms.
Track analytics and search engine optimization.
- Monitor and manage website analytics and prepare a monthly analytics report for the Director of Communications.
Manage email distributions through SalsaLabs or other CMS
- Provide leadership in maintaining the Institute’s email marketing list in SalsaLabs.
- Work with departments to build successful data list management procedures.
- Ensure that email communications meet Praxis guidelines.
- Maintain a master calendar of key dates for thematic content.
Provide technical support for archiving photos, video, and other media.
- Familiarity with social justice oriented approaches to framing and communications strategy.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Exceptional attention to editorial detail; Able to express complex, abstract ideas in a straightforward, accessible way.
- Strong research along with the ability to interpret and communicate research materials write within the organization’s social justice framework.
- Experience with writing for the web including the ability to write compelling, clickable headlines, descriptions, and other micro copy; familiar with using content management systems.
- Commitment to addressing systemic causes of racism, sexism, homophobia and poverty ease working with diverse populations.
- Experience using a Content Management System (CMS).
- Experience using social media, especially Facebook, Twitter, YouTube as an institutional platform.
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences.
- Strong organizational and communication skills. Ability to work well under pressure, to meet deadlines, and to prioritize a large number of tasks.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor working with a broad range of staff, partners and consultants.
Education / Experience
Bachelors degree in public relations/communications, journalism, or related field and minimum of two years in website administration/web design/content management preferred.
- NGO or foundation experience/interest in social justice preferred.
SENIOR LEVEL COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
The Praxis Project is a nonprofit movement support intermediary and an institution of color that supports organizing and change work at local, regional and national levels. Focused on movement building for fundamental change, our mission is to build healthy communities by changing the power relationships between people of color and the institutional structures that affect their lives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Director works under the supervision of the Executive Director. The Communications Director should be willing and able to work with a team approach, and should share Praxis' overall commitment to addressing issues of racial and economic justice, working with traditionally disenfranchised populations, changing structural conditions to improve the quality of life, building community power, and institutional/systemically focused strategies.
Communications Planning. In collaboration with the senior management team, develop and implement a comprehensive plan for strategic communications including field building, meta messaging, web and social media strategy, media relations and media trainings; provide leadership and consultation to Praxis staff and on strategic communications aspects of their work. Provide regular reporting, evaluation and documentation of communications work.
Media Relations. Handle press contacts for Praxis, including supervising the development and maintenance of computerized database of media contacts and press lists, cultivating contacts, preparing press releases and advisories. Develop in collaboration with other Praxis staff and partners major press conferences, briefings, and publicity campaigns. Build capacity and infrastructure for messaging and meta messaging as an integral component of Praxis’ overall change strategy. Coordinate work of media consultants to ensure deliverables are met and consistent with Praxis’ goals.
Media Training. Assist the training team in developing training materials and curricula, and in performing media trainings designed to build strategic communications competency in local communities and to connect Praxis constituencies into a larger strategic communications “frame.”
Publications Development and Editing. Develop story ideas in consultation with the senior management team; research and write the Praxis newsletter and other materials for the media; work with freelance writers and writing consultants to oversee production of writing projects; and assist Praxis staff with editing of products for publication, as needed.
Personnel Supervision. Oversee the work of the Communications and Technology Team; coordinate communications work with relevant contractors and provide communications related project management oversight. Select and supervise interns in media and policy communications, as funding permits.
- Familiarity with social justice oriented approaches to framing, media strategy, and propaganda.
- Excellent project management skills including experience coordinating the work of contractors and professional public relations firms.
- Strong journalistic research and writing skills along with the ability to write for the public in a compelling way.
- A minimum of five years experience writing for the public, including writing on public health issues.
- Ability to interpret and communicate research materials for lay audiences.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with community members.
- Commitment to addressing systemic causes of racism, sexism, homophobia and poverty.
- Experience in both print and video editing and production (video skills desirable but not required).
- Knowledge of web design and principles of interactive media (experience working in this area in a social justice context a plus)
- Knowledge of and experience with web publication, social media and the use of the internet as a tool for communication, community building, advocacy and propaganda.
- Ability to work independently, be detailed oriented, prioritize own work, and collaborate with and coordinate the work of others in a harmonious and empowering manner.
Depends on experience, includes a generous benefits package.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Please email your resume to Salimah Salaam Muhammad at email@example.com or Mailing address: 7731 Alaska Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20012